By Cory Groeneveld
This weekly segment will take a look at which top UFC stars is making headlines in the news.
Here are the headlines:
- The possible fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr was back in the news this week. With Mayweather stating, “For Conor McGregor, I’m coming out of retirement, just to fight Conor McGregor.”
- Later it was announced that a venue and date had been set for the McGregor vs Mayweather Jr boxing match. It was announced that T-Mobile arena in Las Vegas had been booked June 10th for the anticipated match between McGregor and Mayweather. Rumors were shut down by Dana White who commented on the potential fight by saying, “nowhere near being done. No target date set whatsoever.”
- However Dana White would be a guest on the Conan O’Brien show on Wednesday night. During the broadcast, White stated that he is interested in the McGregor vs Mayweather Jr.matchup. He said the match was “too lucrative to not happen”
- Joe Rogan stated on his Fight Companion show, that it is unlikely for McGregor to beat Mayweather Jr in a boxing match. He did say that McGregor could win if Mayweather Jr doesn’t train enough by looking past McGregor. He stated that McGregor is much larger than Mayweather Jr and could bully the smaller fighter in the clinch.
- UFC middleweight champion, Michel Bisping stated on his own podcast that Mayweather Jr wants the matchup with McGregor because he has been recently scammed out of a large amount of money and he needs the money he would receive from the McGregor matchup.
- Dana White also spoke with TMZ and informed them that he has offered multiple fights to both Nick and Nate Diaz, but they both keep turning down the offered fights.
- Former UFC lightweight champion, Rafael dos Anjos called for a match with Nick Diaz in his welterweight division debut
- Anderson Silva was also in the news a lot this past week. On his Instagram account, Anderson Silva posted that he would love a rematch with both Nick Diaz and Michael Bisping. Anderson Silva goes on to state, “Because with Nick, it was a No Contest, we have a story to tell, I’ll wait for you in Brazil. . And I’m waiting for you, Mr. Bisping, after your fight with GSP. . Exterminate once and for all this doubt of the fans about who really won.”
- Shortly after Silva called out Nick Diaz and Michael Bisping, he was called out by Yoel Romero. Romero called out Silva saying he wanted his shot at Silva for the inteirm title.
- Anderson Silva would finally get a match for UFC 212 which he had his eyes set on. Though it was not with anyone he called out or with Romero who called out Silva. Anderson Silva is set to face Kelvin Gastelum at UFC 212 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Team Alpha Male founder Urijah Faber spoke about Paige VanZant’s status with the team. He said that he believes that VanZant is planning on training at several gyms with a possible home base in Oregon. He said that there is no hard feelings and is always welcomed at Team Alpha Male