See which UFC Stars are making the headlines this week in our Stars Report.
- Demian Maia, who many believe deserves a title shot, may have to wait even a little longer. In an interview with ESPN, Tyron Woodley expressed that he would much rather face Nick Diaz or Georges St-Pierre.
- Michael Bisping finds himself in court over a contract dispute with former coach Anthony McGann. McGann claims that Bisping still owes him $394,000 from a 6-year contract that Bisping signed with Wolfslair gym back in 2005, according to The Daily Star UK. In his defense, Bisping claims that McGann forged a new contract to try and get more money out of the UFC middleweight champion. When McGann presented the contract to court Bisping responded, “The contract I signed was not that big. It was Wolfslair, not McGann. It’s not the contract I signed. It didn’t even have my name on it. It was a template.”
- Demetrious Johnson expressed his displeasure on how fighters are paid in the UFC in a recent interview with ESPN. Johnson said that CM Punk made more money than he did in his octagon debut. He goes on to say it didn’t surprise him one bit though. Johnson states in the interview, “There is not another sport in the world where you can be the best at it but not get paid the best. I never wanted to say this before, but I don’t care anymore, and it’s just facts. When CM Punk signed with the UFC, people asked me how I felt about it, and I said, ‘CM Punk will probably make more money than I do on his very first fight.’ And he did. I think his payout was $500,000.”
- Demetrious Johnson tells Ronda Rousey to grow the f**k up. In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Johnson was quoted saying, “You look at Ronda Rousey. You got your ass beat, grow the f**k up. It happens. It’s mixed martial arts. I don’t want to be like that. If I lose, I’ll be like, I lost.” Johnson goes one to say, “Everybody f**king loses. It’s part of the sport. Grow up.”
Dana White and Luke Rockhold Feud:
- Dana White and Luke Rockhold have been going back and forth on Twitter the past couple weeks. All started when Rockhold express his displeasure with Georges St-Pierre (GSP) getting a title shot right away in his return to the UFC. White responded on Twitter saying that “nobody deserves anything” and that Rockhold needs to “earn it.” Rockhold fires back asking Dana White to explain how Georges St-Pierre “earned” his middleweight title shot. Which bring us to the most recent backfire from Dana White. On Twitter White responded to Rockhold’s comments with, “Luke Rockhold I usually never respond but GSP never lost his title. Bisping, GSP, and the fans wanted it. Stick to fighting and modeling and leave the matchmaking to us.”
- Conor McGregor to take up an acting role? Not so fast. It’s reported that McGregor turned down a role in Guy Ritchie’s latest movie, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. The producer told the Irish Sun that McGregor turned down the role due to being focused on training right now.
- Conor McGregor has signed his side of the contract to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr, and now we wait on Mayweather to get his side of the contract signed. In a statement on signing the contract, McGregor said, “The first, and most important part of this historic contract has now officially been signed off on. Congratulations to all parties involved. We now await Al Haymon and his boxer’s signature in the coming days.”
- Conor McGregor is slowly closing the betting gap in his potential matchup with Floyd Mayweather Jr. When the fight was first announced, sports book Bovada, had opening odds on the fight at Mayweather -2000 and McGregor +900. Since then McGregor has slowly closed the gap to the latest lines which are at Mayweather -750 and McGregor +475.