Here are the UFC stars that are making headlines this week:
- Seems everyone wants to get there opinion in on the potential McGregor vs Mayweather Jr fight. Conor McGregor’s teammate Dillon Danis is picking McGregor to KO Mayweather Jr before the 5th. Danis was quoted saying, “I just want to say, everyone is running [McGregor] down, but I think he knocks him out.” When asked for specific result he responded, “I’ll say before the fifth. I think before the fifth. I think he knocks him out.”
- McGregor’s coach says that they are training as if the fight with Mayweather Jr is on. McGregor’s coach John Kavanagh stated, “In my mind it’s on. That’s the mentality we’re in.” Kavanagh believes though that the fight will take place this year.
- Dana White is starting to feel obligated to make The McGregor vs Mayweather Jr fight happen. On Fox Sports “The Heard” Dana White states, “So for him [McGregor] to have this kind of opportunity, to make this kind of money, this type of fight that people are so interested in worldwide, I almost feel like I have to make it.”
- Khabib Nurmagomedov on missing weight for 209, “I almost died.” During an interview in The MMA Hour Khabib talked about how he did not feel good the day before weigh-ins. He said it’s not unusual to not feel good before weigh-ins but something was different this time around. Khabib goes on to say that doctors told him he couldn’t fight, that he almost died. That there was no way they were going to let him fight.
- In an interview with the press Nurmagomedov’s father was stated saying he wants his son to retire within the next year and half. In response Nurmagomedov said that the media twisted his fathers words. In summary of Nurmagomedov statements, if he can stay healthy he has no plans on retiring anytime soon.
- Nate Diaz to have rehearing with Nevada Athletic Commission on April 12th over UFC 202 press conference dispute with Conor McGregor. Diaz hopes that his fine will be significantly smaller and community service hours will be cut like they did for Conor McGregor.
- During UFC 210 the announcement of the first member of the 2017 UFC Hall of Fame Class was released. The fighter named was Urijah Faber. The ceremony will take place during International Fight Week this July.
- Kelvin Gastelum tested positive for marijuana. As a result he was pulled from his upcoming fight in UFC 212 against Anderson Silva. Gastelum was also placed on provisional suspension.
- With Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson the main event this past weekend there was a lot of talk about Jon Jones. Especially with word of him being in attendance at UFC 210 to witness his potential next opponent coming from the Cormier /Johnson winner. When asked about Jones this past week, Cormier did not remain quiet. He called Jones desperate. Saying he must be desperate to be showing up to the event and throwing after parties while still under suspension. Cormier also gave a fair warning to Jones if he were to go on and beat Johnson. He warned Jones to stay out of the octagon. He better not come in my octagon if I win this weekend. If he does it will get real ugly. With Cormier winning this weekend it’s fair to say this will be one fight a lot of people will be looking forward to.