Stars Report: GSP wants McGregor? Both Diaz brothers called out and more
Here are the MMA stars that are making headlines this week:
- Floyd Mayweather responds to McGregor’s guarantee KO win against the undefeated champ. In a calm and non-trash like response Mayweather responded with, “I feel like he’s entitled to feel the way he wants to feel. Only thing you can do is respect that.” (via video from FightHype.com)
- Seems like one of the Diaz brothers is getting called out each week. This week Nick Diaz has been called out for a fight again. Although not from a UFC contender, but from former world boxing champ Jean Pascal. In a video by TMZ Pascal is heard saying, “The UFC fighters, they always say that they can fight, that they can box, but i don’t see it….Nick Diaz talks a lot of trash and he never had someone who can talk back to him like I can do.” He goes on to say, “I’m pretty sure that I whoop his ass because I’m a fighter, not a UFC wrestler. Boxing is an Art.”
- Would only be fitting if Nate Diaz also got called out for a fight as well. This week Tony Ferguson wants to go up against Nate Diaz. Ferguson was quoted saying, “I know one person that I would like to go toe-to-toe with who probably needs a lesson taught to is Nate Diaz. I would love to go toe-to-toe with him. Anybody else that’s out there doesn’t really deserve a shot with me. Myself, the fans, everybody else would love to see the fight. Battle of California, baby.”
- Georges St. Pierre to have a new face in his corner. Freddie Roach, a very well known boxing trainer, has worked many year with St. Pierre but has never been in his corner. That will change as Roach told the Boston Globe that he promised St. Pierre he will be in his corner.
- Freddie Roach also came out and made it known who St. Pierre and his team wants for his final fight. “With the last fight, we’re hoping to be McGregor.” Roach said.
- Paige VanZant to compete this week, but not in the octagon. VanZant will participate in Food Network’s show “Chopped”. She will be participating in a celebrity tournament where the winner will win $50,000 to the choice of their charity.
- Could we see Ronda Rousey back in the octagon? It was reported that Rousey hired a new nutrition coach. Nutritionist Dan Garner posted on Instagram welcoming Rousey to his team. There have been no word from Rousey or her team about a possible return at this point in time.
- Also this week Stephanie McMahon of WWE said that they are still very interested in bringing Ronda Rousey over. McMahon was quoted saying, “I would love to add Ronda Rousey! I know that she loves WWE and we certainly love her, so it would be a match, no pun intended, made in heaven. So hopefully one day we’ll have that opportunity.”
- UFC and boxing about to collide? Boxer David Haye has said that the UFC has reached out to him with a possible matchup with Jimi Manuwa. Haye was quick to respond with a yes. Although negotiations are far from done, this just adds on to the list of possible UFC vs Boxing matchups.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov has made comments on possible McGregor vs Mayweather Jr. fight. Khabib is quoted saying, “As a fan, it is a very interresting fight.” He also goes on to say, “But in truth, for MMA it is a very dangerous fight. We’re close to boxing in terms of popularity ratings. And if the most-promoted fighter the UFC such as McGregor is defeated by a 40-year-old boxer, it would be a blow to the reputation of MMA. But the money apparently outweighs any risks.”