Quick Hits 5/3: UFC Adds Women’s Flyweight, Pettis Returns to 155lbs
Here are some of the headlines in the world on MMA on Wednesday, May 3rd:
- The UFC announced that the 26th season will crown the champion of the new women’s flyweight (125 lbs) pounds division. The organization will hold an open casting call on May 23 in Las Vegas. The filming of the season will start in July.
- Former UFC lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis, who had two fights in the featherweight division, will be moving back to the weight class where he was the champion. Pettis will return to action at UFC 213 on July 8th when he takes on division stalwart, Jim Miller. Pettis will enter the contest after losing to Max Holloway, while Miller is coming off a loss to Dustin Poirier.
- Thiago Santos vs Gerald Meerschaert was also added to UFC 213 card today. Santos enters the contest after beating Jack Marshman, while Meerschaert is a perfect 2-0 in the UFC.
- Chris Wade and Frankie Perez will face each other at UFC on Fox 25 on July 22nd in Long Island, New York. These two fought each other outside of the UFC in 2014 with Wade winning a split decision. Wade enters the contest off of a loss to Islam Makhachev, while Perez enters the contest off of a loss to Marc Diakiese
- Lastly, Conor McGregor’s training partner, Charlie Ward will return to the octagon and face UFC newcomer, Galore Bofando at UFC Fight Night 113 on July 6th. Ward was knocked out in his only UFC fight in a quick 53 seconds to Abdul Razak Alhassan.